Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MrAcquire MrAcquire is offline

Default Finding Location of Maximum Value in 2D Array

Let's say that your 202x202 array of numbers is A2:GT203. In cell A1 type
the following to give you the maximum value in the array:

=max(a2:gt203)

but instead of pressing Enter, hold down the Shift & Control keys and press
Enter. This creates an array formula.

If you want to find what cell it's in, you can highlight the array and use
Edit-Find and enter the max value from A1.

" wrote:

I am using MS Office ExCel 2003(11.6560.6568) SP2 and have a single
sheet with a 2D array of numbers roughly 202x202 in size. Could
someone tell me the quickest way to locate the maximum value in the
array? I tried =WhereMax("Sheet1") but just got #NAME? as the result.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,
Peter.