Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default Custom Cell format to mimic time format

Hi Scott,

This can not be achieved thru Formatting only.
In Excel, times are stored as fractions of a day, and a day is 1 (the number 1 represents 1-1-1900).
That explains the way 3.2 is displayed: 3 days, 4 hours and 48 minutes, but you chose to only display the hours and minutes.
So if you want 3.2 to behave like time, Divide by 24 and by 60. It will give you 00:03:12
I don't know why you don't want the cell to be time. My experience is that attempts to build your own "time system" in Excel will
get you into deep trouble eventually.

Maybe you can explain what you are trying to achieve, so we can help you with a better solution.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel