Paul K.

Harlan,

"Good Answer." Your solution worked. Thank you much! Paul

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Paul K. wrote...
I'm running into an Excel limit with the number of range names I can
enter in my formula. Below is the formula entered into the source
field of the Data Validation box (3rd list). When I try to enter any
additional range names, (i.e. vf30) I get an error. I have 3 lists,
the second list is dependent on the selection from the first list
and the third list depends on the selections made from the first
and second lists.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You had a typo, missing left parenthesis after MATCH, in your formula,
so I suppose it should appear as

=CHOOSE(MATCH(E7,producttype,0),vf1,vf2,vf3,vf4,vf 5,vf6,vf7,vf8,vf9,
vf10,vf11,vf12,vf13,vf14,vf15,vf16,vf17,vf18,vf19,
vf20,vf21,vf22,vf23,vf24,vf25,vf26,vf27,vf28,vf29)

The problem is that Excel accomodates only 30 arguments to *ANY*
function. The formula above has just hit the 30 argument limit. You
can't add any more no matter how badly you may want to do so.

There may be work-arounds. If all these VF# named ranges are direct
references to ranges, that is, the name VF99 refers to =X!$Z$500 rather
than a dynamic range like =OFFSET(X!$A$1,COUNT(foo),5,1,1), then you
could use INDIRECT and rewrite your formula as

=INDIRECT("VF"&MATCH(E7,producttype,0))