Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default 12 Month Average

Hi Dewayne

I feel as though I am having to tease each little piece of information
from you one step at a time.
Could you provide the broader picture.
Why are the monthly cells in 2 different columns?
What is the full range of cells that can hold data in column F and
column G?
Does it start at F5:F16 for the first 12 months, then go on to G5:G16
for the next 12 months, and will it go on to H5:H16 for the following 12
months?

If so, then the following should work

=AVERAGE(
OFFSET($F$16,0,0,-(12-COUNT($G$5:$G$16)),1),
OFFSET($G$16,0,0,-(12-COUNT($H$5:$H$16)),1),
$H$5:$H$16)
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dewayne" wrote in message
Roger -
The next month I would like the range to average (F15:F16,G5:G14), the
following month (F16,G5:G15) and so on.
The range of cells holds numbers such as 12.33, 11.52 etc. which I
input for
each month as we progress through the year.
Hope this helps.
Thanks again for your help.
--
Dewayne

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Dewayne

So, are you saying that next month, you want (F15:F17,G5:G13), or
(F15:F16,G5:G14) or (F14:F16,G6:G14)
Can you be a little more explicit as to what each range of cells
holds,
and how you want the sample for your average to move?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dewayne" wrote in message
Roger -
The formula as requested is
=average(F14:F16,G5:G13)
Thanks,
Dewayne

--
Dewayne

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Post your existing formula.
What cells hold the data that you wish to average?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dewayne" wrote in message
I calculate an average in cell G19 that includes the lastest 12
months
values. Each month I need to update the formula to exclude the
first
of the
last 12 months and include the new month. Currently I am doing
this
manually
each month. Is there a way to automatically update the formula
include
only the last 12 months in the average when new data is entered
into a
new
cell?
Thanks for any suggestions.