Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Excel trys to open files on start up

Thanks for the feedabck.

Gord

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:50:01 -0800, pkerr
wrote:

Thanks one and all!!
Problem solved... partially due to operator error. BUT you guys got me
looking at the problem from a different "angle" as well.
Thanks again.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

If you cannot get to that dialog box because of all the files opening you can
delete the path in the Registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\11.0\e xcel\options

On right-hand side there is a key named: AltStartup

Delete that entire key.

Note: this is a simple change and should not affect anything else but for
precaution, make sure you create a system restore point prior to making any
changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:56:02 -0800, pkerr
wrote:

Thanks.. but the problem I have is that it just tries to open file after
file. I get an error message say O.K. and then more files are opened. I
never have a chance to get to a menu.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'd look here first:

Tools|Options|General tab
If the user has any entry in the:
"At startup, open all files in:" box, then have them clear that box (don't
delete the files.)

This is the xl2002+ wording.

In xl2k and before, it was something like:
Alternate Startup File location

pkerr wrote:

I have a user that on start Excel random files are sttempted to be opend.
Gif's. pdfs, Word, etc.
I looked for Personal.xls and it doesn't seem to be there. I tried
uninstall and repair with no luck.
Could it be a virus?
Fixes?
Thanks