Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brandoni Brandoni is offline

Default How to count occurrences where 2 columns are required to be true?

I am trying to count the number of occurences when conditions in two columns
are met. I can count each individual column values with =countif function.
But, I can't seem to count only if a value is found in both column A and B to
be true. Please see example below.

A1= Tom B1=Job
A2= John B2=Job
A3= John B3=Spec
A4= Mark B4=Spec
A5= Alice B5=Spec
A6= Tom B6=Spec

What I would like to count is the number of "Jobs" each person has versus
"Spec" jobs.

For example: If I count the number of jobs Tom is working on = 2
(COUNTIF(A:A,"Tom"). But I also want to return the number of Spec jobs only
Tom is working on = 1 (This is the formula I need. Basically, count each row
that has Tom and Spec as TRUE).

Thank you in advance for your help. Please email copy your response.