Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Transaction type/ Transaction amount in two separate columns

I recommend a Pivot Table

Select your data range

Then....from the Excel main menu:
<Data<Pivot Table
Use: Excel
Select your data
Click the [Layout] button

ROW: Drag the TYPE field here
DATA: Drag the AMOUNT field here
If it doesn't list as Average of AMOUNT...dbl-click it and set it to Average
Click [OK]

Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done

That will create a table listing each TYPE and the Average of Amount per TYPE.

To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Mike" wrote:

I have a couple thousand rows of data grouped into eight transaction types.
Column A is the type and Column B is the amount. I would like average the
amounts of each of the groups. Can you give me an idea how best to approach
this task? It is repetitive in that this report is prepared on a weekly basis.