Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default Worksheet function?

To be more specific, given the sample range you give below:

=SUMIF(A2:B10,A2,B2:B10)/COUNTIF(A2:A10,A2) will give the average for the
yellows.

Replace the criteria in the SUMIF and COUNTIF functions as necessary.
Assumes that the sample data are in range A1:B10.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Mike" wrote:

I have file with several thousand rows, and would like to average one of the
columns based on a second rows groupings. What would be the best way to do
that? Thank you.

Example: (I would like to average all the yellows and all the blues and all
the greens, etc.)

Column A Column B
Yellow 1.34
Yellow 8.2