Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brad Dean Brad Dean is offline

Default Use Excel to randomly generate selections for cyle counting?

Hi Allllen! Thanks for your response. I should have been clearer. Rather
than generating a random number, I would like Excel to randomly select an
existing item number to be counted.

Here is a specfic example of what I am looking for:

We have categories of inventory (A B C items) Each A item needs to be
counted four times a year; each B item 3 times, each C item 2/yr. Every time
we count an item, we enter the date is was counted. Based on the number of
hits per item category per year, I would like Excel to select another part
number to count.

Again, I appreciate your time and sorry for the wild goose chase!

"Allllen" wrote:

have a look at =RANDBETWEEN(1,5000) (you need to load Tools Add-ins the
Analysis toolpack).
This will get you a random number from 1 to 5000. Refresh it with F9.

Does that help get you started?

--
Allllen

"Brad Dean" wrote:

Hi - I need to perform cycle counts on approximately 5,000 items. Each item
needs to be counted at least once a year. Does anyone know if and how Excel
can be used to randomly select products for counting based on the last date
of activity?