Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default Vlookup with 9E+307

So why does this work and 9E+307 doesn't?
VLOOKUP(LOOKUP(9E+307,B:B),B:D,3,FALSE)

It works for me but you're doing a double lookup when you only need to do a
single lookup. That's the logic people use on me when I post this:

=VLOOKUP(MAX(B1:B10)+1,B1:D10,3)

Biff

"Patti" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

Thanks. So why does this work and 9E+307 doesn't?

"Dave F" wrote:

^ is XL's symbol for exponentiation, i.e., X^Y is "X raised to the Yth
power," etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Patti" wrote:

Well that worked, as your answers always do, but can you explain why?
What
does the "^" do?

"Biff" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(99^99,B1:D10,3)

Or:

=LOOKUP(99^99,B1:B10,D1:D10)

Biff

"Patti" wrote in message
Having an issue with a formula...

VLOOKUP(LOOKUP(9E+307,B:B),B:D,3,FALSE)

I want to find the last date in column B and then pull the date
from
column
D in the same row.

This works fine as long as there's no data in column C, but if
there is,
the
formula shows 0 instead of the data in column D.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!