Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
scheduler scheduler is offline

Default IF Value

My problem is, I want the X to appear and I only get a blank with the second
formula, when the finds the value I want an x to appear, can you help? Thanks
for your help and responses

"Niek Otten" wrote:

You wrote in that post that you could get the X with that formula!

Perhaps better to do this stepwise.
In C1:
=VLOOKUP(K2,B2:B8,1,FALSE)
In C2:
=ISNA(C1)
In C3:
=IF(C2,"","X")

Now you should be able to see where it is going wrong.
Don't hesitate to post again; then also post the values in B2:B8 and in K2

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"scheduler" wrote in message ...
| as stated in my first post,,it comes up blank
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Use your first formula
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "scheduler" wrote in message ...
| | k2 does contain value from b2:b8 and I am wanting an "x" to appear,,,how do I
| | make this happen?
| |
| | "David Biddulph" wrote:
| |
| | Your second formula is correct for returning X if the expression is True.
| | If X isn't appearing, it is presumably because your ISNA expression is
| | returning False. Your ISNA will return true (and thus display X) if K2
| | contains something which doesn't occur in B2:B8.
| | --
| | David Biddulph
| |
| | "scheduler" wrote in message
| | But how do I get the "X" to appear if true? That is my objective.
| |
| | "Niek Otten" wrote:
| |
| | Apparently the value of K2 can be found in the range B2:B8. So Vlookup
| | does not return NA#. So ISNA returns FALSE. So you don't
| | get the first value from IF ("") (which you would get if ISNA had
| | returned TRUE), but the second one, "X".
| | Exactly the opposite is the case in your second formula.
| |
| | --
| | Kind regards,
| |
| | Niek Otten
| | Microsoft MVP - Excel
| |
| | "scheduler" wrote in message
| | |I can get the "X" to appear in this formula:
| | | =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(K2,B2:B8,1,FALSE)),"","X")
| | |
| | | But cannot get it to appear in this formula:
| | | =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(K2,B2:B8,1,FALSE)),"X","")
| | |
| |
| |
| |