Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mpenkala mpenkala is offline

Default SUMIF Fuction Problem

Hi all,

So I've got a new problem. Kinda like my last one, but a little easier (I
hope).

I currently have a main workbook called 'Dept OT' and Sheet1 has been
renamed 'Comms June-Dec2006'. On this sheet I have the following:
Column 'A' - Employee ID#
Column 'B' - Employee Name
Column 'C' - Total OT (Monthly June)
Column 'D' - Total OT (Yearly)
Column 'E' - Percentage OT Monthly
Column 'F' - Percentage OT Yearly

I then have a empty column and repeat the process for July, Aug, etc...
I use a SUMIF function in ColumnC to find the the information needed. The
information is located in a diffenent workbook called 'JuneOT' (JulyOT for
July, AugOT for August... etc).

JuneOT is simply names, ID#, and OT hours worked.
Column 'A' - ID #
Column 'B' - name
Column 'C' - Date
Column 'D' - Hours worked

My SUMIF simply looks for the ID#, matches it with the ID# in the DeptOT
workboot, then sums the hours worked if a match occurrs. The function works
great - that's not my problem - it's after I save and close excel...

Once I close excel and then try to open DeptOT I get the following message:

"This workbook contains links to other data sources.
-If you udate the links, Excel will attempt to retreve the latest data.
-If you don't update the links, Excel will use the previous information.

If I try and Update I get 2 possible problems.

1 - The workbook contain one or more links that cannot be updated.
2 - All of my SUMIF cells show #VALUE until I actually open up the JuneOT,
JulyOT...etc. and then close them again. Once this is done, DeptOT looks and
works fine.

Any ideas or comments?? I'm lost on this. I even tried to create a macro
that would open up JuneOT, JulyOT, AugOT, etc and then close them again, but
it always closes DeptOT as well... so I guess I'm stuck.

Thanks,
Matt