Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Default INDEX/MATCH Functions with row-arranged table.

Say E1 contains the value you want to look up, try
=HLOOKUP(E1, A1:C2, 2, 0)

The Index/Match combination should be
=INDEX(A2:C2, MATCH(E1, A1:C1, 0))

If it doesn't work, double check your data to make sure it is actually a
match (maybe trailing spaces or some other characters mixed in)

"Bob Keller" wrote:

I cannot get standard index/match function to work with following setup:

A B C
1 red green blue
2 x y z

If another cell has red, green, blue as its validated choices, I want
another cell to auto-populate with x, y, or z. All the examples I've seen has
table setup in columns, not rows - but my solution requires the row setup.

Ideas?

- Bob