Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sshankle sshankle is offline

Default Changing text color within a formula???

But the trick you need is wrapped in the number format of the cell itself...
You can use one of the 'custom' formats to color positve, and negative any
way you prefer.
ie some variant of this: $#,##0_);[Red]($#,##0)

sshankle

"Cortez" wrote:

Thanks, if it can't be done, I'll stop trying. Conditional formating
won't cut it for this purpose unfortunately.

David Biddulph wrote:
You can't change colour with a formula in a cell. You can either use cell
formatting (Format/ Cells) which include options for negative to be red, or
you can use Conditional Formatting (Format/ Conditional Formatting) where
you can specify your own conditions and formats.
--
David Biddulph

"Cortez" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a formula that displays text and values, and I would like to
format the values so they are red if they are negative.

example: =if(a1<0,red(a1),a1) where the word red is to indicate that I
would like that text to show in red.

Not sure if my description is adequate, but I would be happy to clarify
if required.

Thanks in advance,
cTK