Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default overline in Excel

It works well in a cell, also
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"James Silverton" wrote in message
"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message
Before you type the character for which you want the overbar, change the
font to Symbol.
To create the bar, type the ` character (accent grave, may be above the
Tab key)
Then, stay in Symbol font, or switch to a different font, and type the
character that has the overbar.

Steve wrote:
Is there any way to create an overbar over text in a text box in an
Excel drawing?

Interesting! A most unusual capability for a Microsoft font but it only
seems to work in an Excel text box. If you use it elsewhere you only get
an overlined Greek character from those available in Symbol. The formula
bar may well indicate the desired character but that's not what I got!

For example, I tried to get a bar over an x. The overline apppeared in
Symbol font; I switched to Arial, typed x and got an overlined lower case
Greek xi while the Formula bar showed `x (side by side as here).

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland