Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
James Silverton James Silverton is offline

Default overline in Excel

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message
Before you type the character for which you want the overbar,
change the font to Symbol.
To create the bar, type the ` character (accent grave, may be
above the Tab key)
Then, stay in Symbol font, or switch to a different font, and
type the character that has the overbar.

Steve wrote:
Is there any way to create an overbar over text in a text box
in an Excel drawing?

Interesting! A most unusual capability for a Microsoft font but
it only seems to work in an Excel text box. If you use it
elsewhere you only get an overlined Greek character from those
available in Symbol. The formula bar may well indicate the
desired character but that's not what I got!

For example, I tried to get a bar over an x. The overline
apppeared in Symbol font; I switched to Arial, typed x and got
an overlined lower case Greek xi while the Formula bar showed
`x (side by side as here).

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland