Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default Format Date

If there is no quick way to do it, does that mean you're not interested in a
solution? Are we getting to the stage that, not only does the advice have to be
free and correct, it has to be quick?

I see three solutions, but none of them may fit your definition of quickly:

1. Use DataText to columns
2. Use the formula =left(a1,16) to pick off only the date and hh:mm portion of
your cell.
3. Convert the text to a date, then display it in whatever format you want.

Fred

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry but I have tried that it doesnot work, The column is imported
from an external source which I believe comes in a text format, I need
a way to change the whole cell quickly!!
Jon von der Heyden wrote:
Sure. Go to Format - Cells - Number and choose a date format.

HTH
Jon

" wrote:

I have a cell in my worksheet that automatically comes up with a date
in the following format: -

23/10/2005 11:30:20 EST

I dont require the seconds and the EST in the cell is there a way I can
quickly delete these two unwanted details from the whole cell.

Thanks a lot

Princy