Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Problem with SUM()

This is Excel trying to be helpful with automatic formula extension
Use Tool | Options ; open the Edit tab; deselect Extend Data Range Formats &
Formulas

Is that the Norfolk where 'broads' needs bodies of water or the one where it
means females? Ah, but your email address contains UK so I guess its the
former.

You should learn how to set up you newsgroup reader (Outlook maybe) to give
a false email address if you want to avoid lots of spam - there are 'bots'
(computer programs) which gather email address from newsgroups.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Richard Wrigley" wrote in message
Greetings from Norfolk

This may be a silly question!
I set up SUM(D5:D10) and put the result in D15.
When trying out the sheet I made entries (numeric) in D5, D6...D10 all
OK.
I then made entries in D11, D12, D13 and D14; The formulae in D15
modified
itself (!!??) to include these values in the Summation. i.e. the answer
was
progressively D5 to D10, D5 to D11, D5 to D12 etc.
Can anybody explain and assist in preventing this occuring again. Ilooked
through the various settings for Excel, but could not find any that appear
relevant !

--
Richard.

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at
in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson