Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lori Lori is offline

Default Formula Too Long

Roger, this only works for small ranges. Named ranges have a limit of
255 characters and references are stored in the format
=Sheet1!A1,Sheet1!A2,... which limits the selection to about 20 such
cells.

Roger Govier wrote:

Hi Tom

Create a named range for your cells to be averaged.
Select your range of cells by holding down Ctrl as you click on each one
Enter Myrange into the Name box, (just above row Number 1 and to the
left of column A) and press Enter.

=AVERAGE(Myrange)
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Tom Young" <Tom wrote in message
I'm trying to average the values in approximately 250 non-adjacent
cells
(there is no pattern to the cell location).

My first obstacle was the 30 argument limit, which I hoped to get
around by
using =AVERAGE (()). In another thread someone referred to this as
using
"multiple area ranges."

That seemed to be working fine until about one hour into the tedious
process
of selecting cells while holding down ctrl, I get the "too many
characters"
notification.

Surely there is some efficient way of averaging more than 30
non-adjacent
cells?? I can't believe that Excel makes it this difficult to do a
simple
calculation. Any suggestions? Thanks.