Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
FloMM2 FloMM2 is offline

Default ? avoid changing sum function as rows added?

JClark,
Try this:
At the bottom of your column A (names) & column B (ages) Insert
a blank cell in both columns A & B. When Excel ask you to move cells,Select
down.
Check your last cell formula, make sure it added the last cell in the formula.
Eventhough it is blank.
The next time you want to add a name select these new cells (empty ones),
insert and down as above.
Your Average formula will adjust automatically, even if you decide to insert
in the middle of your columns(as long as you insert two cells).
hth
:-)

"JClark" wrote:

Hello Group:
I'm obviously new. To keep it simple, here's how I'll pose the
question:
Suppose I have multiple rows and two columns.
Column A contains names of people
Column B contains each person's age
The last cell in column B is to be an average of the ages, so in that
cell I insert the function =AVERAGE(B1:B100)
This works fine, but as I add rows, I have to change the formula to
include the recently added row, B101, then B102, etc)
Is there any way I can make the function automatically include the
last cell? Sort of like a wild symbol?
It's not a big problem, but I'm just wondering if that's possible.

Thanks.

Jack