Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default OFFSET PLEASE HELP!

Well.....if that's true, then I think this would be the less "volatile"
approach <g

=INDEX($2:$2,MATCH("curbal",$1:$1,0)-1)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"PCLIVE" wrote:

I don't think they are using a "Named" cell, but I could be wrong.

If your value to find is in column B, you might try something like:

=INDIRECT("A"&MATCH("curbal",B:B,0))

Regards,
Paul

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
If
You actually have a single cell with the range name "curbal"
AND
that cell is always in Row_1
AND
you want to return the value that is 1 cell to the left and 1 cell down
from
curbal

then try this:
=OFFSET(curbal,1,-1,1,1)

If curbal is in cell F1
that formula will return the value from E2

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"HERNAN" wrote:

what's wrong with this formula?

=offset(curbal,0,-1,1,1)

I'm trying to get the data of the cell ON THE LEFT of the one named
"Curbal"

ie:

a b c d
1 x Curbal
2 9

I don't know where is going to be located neither the name of the column
the
only thing I know its going to be on row 1 and is going to be on the left
of
the one named "Curbal"
So in this example the number I want to get is 9