Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MEANLEANDEANE MEANLEANDEANE is offline

Default Sorting goes E100,E1001,E101 not E100,E101 etc. Why???

BINGO. Thanks a lot.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

To me they don't look like numbers, they look like text strings, so Excel
will sort them alphanumerically.

If you've always got the one prefix letter, you may be able to get away with
splitting the number part into a helper column, and sorting by that; Excel
kindly gives you the option that anything that looks like a number is sorted
as a number.
--
David Biddulph

"MEANLEANDEANE" wrote in message
Even trying Text,Numbers,General in the Format is giving me the same
results.
ie E110,E1101------E1109 THEN E111 E1111 etc
It appears that the numbers are being treated in some type of
formula.Could
it be that the combination of alpha and numeric is causing a peoblem?