Myrna Larson

I am assuming yor list is in A1:A100, and all of the numbers are greater than
0. If we take smallest value in that range and divide it by N, choosing N so
that the result is = 40, then by definition all larger numbers, when divided
by N, will give a result 40.

In other words, you want to start with this equation

MIN(A1:A100)/N = 40

and solve it for the value of N:

N = MIN(A1:A100)/40

So you want to divide by MIN(A1:A100)/40, i.e.

=A1/(MIN(A1:A20)/40)

PS: This problem has no solution if the list contains both positive and
negative numbers: a negative number would have to be divided by a negative
number to get a result = +40, whereas positive numbers have to be divided by
a positive number.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:05:02 -0800, "JudyK"
wrote:

I have a list of numbers. I need to divide each of those numbers by the same
number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers
are at least 40 or above. Is there a formula that will find such a number?