Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Default Conditional Queries?

Array formula is the term I believe you are looking for and they require
Cntrl+Shift+Enter (CSE).

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B10=123), --(C1:C10="Joe"))
would count the number of times 123 appears in B1:B10 where the same row in
column C has the name "Joe".

In this case, CSE is not required as Sumproduct accepts array arguments.

More on Sumproduct, Array Formulae, and multiple condition tests:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm

"Russell Seguin" wrote:

I can't remember how to do a multiple criteria "countif" query. I need to
count the occurrances of times when a specific entry in column B is followed
by a different specific entry in the same row in column C. I can't recall
what you call this (in order to use Excel's Help), but I think you had to
simultaneously press Alt-Shift-Enter to make it work...