Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
McGinty McGinty is offline

Default Help picking a random number from a given distribution

That will draw a random number from a uniform distribution. I'm looking for
one from a normal (bell shaped) or other distribution. I assume I'll need to
input a mean and standard deviation as well as specify the distribution, but
I'm having some difficulty determining if Excel can do it.

McGinty

"Office Helper" wrote:

If you use the function =RAND() it will generate a random number between 1
and 0. If you want it to be between 1 and 100 use =RAND()*100.

"McGinty" wrote:

Is there a way for me to have Excel select a random number from a given,
e.g., normal distribution? Also can I put a range on the distribution?

Thanks in advance