Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Saving to .txt

Like a fixed width file?

Try saving it as a "formatted text (space delimited)(*.prn)" file.

and ...

Saved from a previous post:

(.prn files will wrap after 240 characters)

You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet):

I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column:

=LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once I figured out that
ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to export the
data.

If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could do it with a macro.

Here's a link that provides a macro:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=015...0a% 40phx.gbl

grok wrote:

I'd like to be able to copy excel to .txt and keep columns aligned. I can
Save As... to .txt and the columns are somewhat aligned but not totally. Is
there a way to do this?

--

Dave Peterson