Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jac Jac is offline

Default Comparing Multi-Columns of Data in Different Files

Hi, Farhad

Thanks for your reply!
The formula does work but the values in E column are being returned to Flag
clolumn instead of the Flag values. Plus, by using FALSE as the range_lookup
value, once the data does not matched; an error message will be returned
instead of No values from Flag column in File A.
is there any other functions can help to solve these?

Thanks!

"Farhad" wrote:

in this case an extra column will help you to use vlookup as follow:

file A
A B C D E
1 Brand Type Unit Flag extra column
2 AA 123 2 Yes =A1&B1&C1
3 AB 234 No
4 No

file B
A B C D E
Brand Type Unit Flag
1 AA 123 2 =vlookup(E1,fileA!E1:E?,1,false) =A1&B1&C1
2 AB 234 3
3 CC 135 5

Hope it works
--
Farhad Hodjat

"Jac" wrote:

hi,

I have 2 files, Files A (old) contained data in below order:-
Brand Type Unit Flag
AA 123 2 Yes
AB 234 No
No

In File B, data are organized in below order:-
Brand Type Unit Flag
AA 123 2

AB 234 3
CC 135 5

What I would like to know is how to compare each value in Brand, Type & Unit
whether they are the same in each file; if they are the same then the Flag
value in File A will be returned; else No will be retruned in File B.

Actually, I have tried out using Vlookup functions but unfortunately, this
function can only compare data in 1 column. So, is there any other functions
that can help in solving this problem?

Thanking in advanced.