Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
romelsb romelsb is offline

Default BIFF - Help!! lookup numbers in multiple columns and return on

jb...Does it works ? I have the same problems. I cant do it with my invoice
list, my invoice numbers are scattered around, only the check numbers are in
sequence ? Still a mystery...

"Biff" wrote:

=MIN(IF(B1:C3=A10,A1:A3,""))

The "" are superfluous.

Biff

"JMB" wrote in message
If you don't mind a suggestion from someone else - assuming check numbers
are
in A1:A3, invoice numbers are in B1:C3, the invoice number you're looking
for
is in A10 (change cell references as needed), you could try

=MIN(IF(B1:C3=A10,A1:A3,""))

array entered with Cntrl+Shift+Enter (or you'll get #VALUE!). Also,
assumes
the invoice was paid w/only one check.

"jb" wrote:

Looked at some of you responses regarding excel and you seem very
knowledgeable. Have a question involving a lookup.

Scenario

Two Sheets

Sheet one

Has an invoice number on it.

Sheet two

Has a check number that may or may not have paid multiple invoices.

It is listed this way.

Column 1 column 2 column 3
et all

Check number invoice number invoice number

What I would like to do is use a lookup on sheet one that checks sheet
two
for the invoice number (separate invoice numbers are located in columns B
through whatever) and returns what check it was paid on (checks located
in
the left most column).

Can't figure out an easy way to do it and was wondering if you had any
ideas.

Regards,
jb