Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
adgorn adgorn is offline

Default highlight dups in one of two columns

Works perfectly! Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I'd like to learn more about how this function works within conditional
formatting. Is it possible to give a brief explanation?
--
Alan

"Biff" wrote:

Try this:

Assume the range of names is in A1:A10 and B1:B10
Select the range A1:A10 (don't select the entire column, it's a waste of
resources to format cells that aren't being used)
2. Choose Format Conditional formatting
3. In ""Condition 1"" choose ""Formula is"""
4. Enter this formula:

=MATCH(A1,B$1:B$10,0)

5. Click the ""Formats"" button and take your pick. OK.OK.

Biff

"adgorn" wrote in message
I have words in column A and B. I'd like to use conditional formating to
highlight just those words in A that also occur in B. The following is
close, but I believe gives a mirror image of what I want. Appreciate any
help. Thanks.

1. Select column B (click the letter B)
2. Choose Format Conditional formatting
3. In ""Condition 1"" choose ""Formula is"""
4. Enter this formula =(COUNTIF($A:$A,B1)=0)*(B1<"")