Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JH JH is offline

Default identify a record that has a blank space in the data in a fiel

Thanks Dom that worked.

" wrote:

Assume each record has data points in columns A through D. Then the
best solution is writing a VBA function that you would place in column
E that returns a "1" or "0" depending on the presence of a space.

If, however, you want to avoid VBA, and just stick to worksheet
functions, then do the following:

1. In column E, insert the function =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",
A1)),0,FIND(" ", A1)).
2. Copy this to columns F through H. References will adjust
automatically.
3. In column I, enter the function =SUM(E2:H2)

If column I is 0, at least 1 cell has a blank.

Hope this helps,
Dom

JH wrote:
I need to pull records that have a blank space somewhere in the data , for
example "type 1" as opposed to "type1" or "help me" as opposed to "helpme".
Your help is much appreciated.