Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default Formulas that reference cells that reference another cell

Well now you're talking about a different arrangement of the formula
compared with what you described earlier, but the question still remains as
to what is going in to the formula.
Set up a helper cell with the formula =Cover!G3, format it as a number;
what is the value?
Set up a helper cell with the formula =$H$12, format it as a number; what is
the value?
What value are you getting out of your =IF(Cover!G3<=$H$12,$H$12,Cover!G3)
formula?
You are sure that the calculation mode [in Tools/ Options/ Calculation] is
set to Automatic?

David Biddulph

"Andrea" wrote in message
this is what my formula reads: IF(Cover!G3<=$H$12,$H$12,Cover!G3)
What I want is that if the CoverG3 is less or equal to the value in H12,
which is a value that is being pulled by a formula from another workbookm
then it returns the value in h12. If CoverG3 is greater than H12, than it
should return CoverG3. Is this correct? Even if I use a helper cell
(H13=h12, and then substiture H13 in the above formula and it is formatted
as
a number), it still does not work.

Maybe I am missing something?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Are you sure that A4 is returning the number 10, not a text value? If in
doubt, try a helper cell with the formula =A4, formatted as a number.
--
David Biddulph

"Andrea" wrote in message
It is not working. The A4A5 is giving me a false statement, when it
should
be true. For example, even if the formula in A4 results in the number
10,
and A5=8, it is telling me that the logic statement is false, and
returning a
value of 8. That is why I was questioning the ability of excel to
distinguish between the fomula within a cell and the value of the
formula
in
a logic statement. The formula works on any two cells that have
numeric
values, just not when a cell that is included is referencing another
cell.

Any other thoughts?

"Dave F" wrote:

Yes, your formula will work.

"Andrea" wrote:

What if it A4=C5 (C5 is in another workbook in my example), and i
wanted the
IF statement to read as follows =IFA4A5, A4, A5.

Will it still work the same, the if A4 was greater than A5, the
value
returned is A4, referencing the value in C5?

I think my formula is correct, because it returns the correct values
if
pick two other cells to compare, just not the cells that are pulling
data
from the additional workbook.

"Dave F" wrote:

All formulas read values. Some values are hard-coded and some are
the result
of other formulas' calculations.

So what are you trying to do here? If A4=C5 and you want to test
if
A5 is
less than A4, you could just enter in, say B2:
=IFA4A5,"bigger","smaller"
Excel will look at A4, see its reference to C5 and calculate based
on
the
value in C5. And if C5 contains a formula, it will iterate the
process until
it finds a final value.

"Andrea" wrote:

Is it possible to build a formula that reads the value in a cell
(that
references another cell) versus reading the formula in a cell?

For example, if a greater than value: IF A4A5, but the value in
A4
is a
reference from another table, is there a way to do this, so the
formula reads
the value, not the formula within the cell?

Thanks!
--
Andrea