Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Optional hyphen?

I don't think you can trust excel to break on a space or a hyphen. If the word
is long enough, you'll see that excel will split in the middle of the word.

Eric wrote:

Does Excel provide an "optional hyphen" feature, like Word? I'm using word
wrap and resizing column widths, and I'd like to avoid having to insert and
delete hyphens by hand as the column widths change.

(The optional hyphen in Word is a special character which is inserted
manually into a word, in order to show Word where to split a word if it needs
to. The optional hyphen is invisible when the word appears on one line.
However, when Word needs to split a word at the end of the line, it becomes
visible like a normal hyphen character.)

Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson