Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default Understanding "Calculating Cells"

If your workbook is set to manual calculation, hit F9 to force the cells to
re-calculate.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DTTODGG" wrote:

Hello-

Could someone kindly explain what "calculating cells" does and does not do?
I have a pretty big spreadsheet that is getting out of control. Reading
other posts, it looks like I could set to "manual calculate". But, this is a
shared file and I don't know if the other person would know to "calculate or
not to calculate" - that is the question!

If the other person is only doing data entry, sorts and filtering. Could I
set it for manual calculation?

Specifically, when and what and why does it calculate?
-If I copy a row that has formula or vlookups, do I need calculate on?
-Do I need calculate on when it first opens and does the updating of cells?
-If I have it off and open the file, will it update incorrectly or not at all?

Thank you for your time.