Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Maximum Items in Excel Lists?

Select the entire list of categories on the sheet, don't include the label at
the top of the list, then Use
Insert | Name | Define
and type in a name for the range like myCategoryList
It should show the cells selected in the area at the bottom of the dialog.
Click the OK button.

Now in your data validated cells use
=myCategoryList
as the Source for the list. Excel should also offer to make the same to all
of the adjoining cells with the same validation setup as the one you've
selected. Accept that kind, labor saving offer.

"MattPatsFan" wrote:

Nick,

How do I name the range? Would it be possible to email you the spreadsheet
I am talking about?

Matt

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Matt

Better to name the range rather than rely on a label or type in a A1
notation address in the source box

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
Otto,

On Sheet 2, I have a column "Category List" with 30 items. On Sheet 1, I
have a column labeled "Category" and went to the cells under it and
clicked
Data/Validation/Allow Lists and under Source put "=Category". The drop
down
button appears and a list appears but it only scrolls down through the
first
14 items.

Matt

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

A data validation (drop-down) list can have thousands of items. Exactly
what are you doing (step by step) to create this Data Validation cell?
HTH
Otto
"MattPatsFan" wrote in message
I can only get 14 items to show up in an excel drop down list. Is that
the
maximum # or can I get it to increase? Thanks,
Matt