Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Function CELL in array formulas

Hi Kostis,

Not this time around, unfortunately. Lynne and I could not work a week that
we both could do, so it will have to be next year. I still have your notes
though for that time.

It seems odd that any of the functions should not be able to return an
array, there may be a reason, but it is beyond me. With some, such as
WEEKNUM, a function alternative is possible, but can't see how to do a date
test without CELL.

Yes, WEEKNUM is ATP, until 2007.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"vezerid" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Bob,
(did you ever come to Greece for vacation?)

I had tried the evaluation myself and something had seemed wrong. Now I
understand that my eye was expecting an array and I was getting a
scalar. From what I understand this is a group of functions which, for
reasons known only to implementors, do not go well with array formulas.
I can understand it with range functions like OFFSET, INDIRECT etc but,
for the life of me, I cannot understand why this would be necessary for
WEEKNUM. BTW, isn't WEEKNUM an ATP function?

Regards,
Kostis

Bob Phillips wrote:
Evaluating the formula it seems that CELL just will not return an array

of
values. Some functions won't, WEEKNUM springs to mind, so cannot be used
within an array formula/function.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"vezerid" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

yesterday I was trying a solution to a post. It was involving a column
containing dates and percentages. The OP wanted the max of the
non-dates.

I thought I would attack this problem using CELL:
=MAX(IF(LEFT(CELL("format",A1:A5),1)<"D",A1:A5))

It did not work, at least in the array formula. It worked perfectly
when I used an extra column, but this is beside the point. Is it
anywhere stated that CELL cannot be used in array formulas? Am I
missing something?

Regards,
Kostis Vezerides