Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

Default Display negative results

Vezerid,

Yes, I want the time to display (hmm), it should be -0.5 minutes. Any
suggestions?

Rhonda

"vezerid" wrote:

OK, it is now clear what is happening. Concatenation is fine, it
concatenates a date with a time producing a time. You are subtracting a
later time from an earlier one. Excel, when it makes an arithmetic
operation OFTEN adopts the format of the operands, hence it is trying
to display the negative number as date, which produces an infinite
series of #####.

Question is, what do you want to have in this cell? Something expressed
as time? A number of minutes in the form, e.g. 3.25 minutes to mean
3:15?

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Rhonda wrote:
Otto,

The problem is not the size of the cell. This is what is in the cell:

Cell H11 - 10/01/06
Cell I11 - 4:45 PM
Cell F11 - 10/01/06
Cell G11 - 4:50 PM

So the formula is =(H11&I11)-(F11&G11)

The ###### appears in the column rather than a -.05 for the five minutes
difference, does this explanation help?

I thank you in advance for your prompt response.

Rhonda

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Rhonda
To add to Pete's response, #### usually means that the cell has a number
that is too large to fit into the cell. That is, the column is not wide
enough to hold that number. Increase the width of the cell as needed. HTH
Otto
"Rhonda" wrote in message
I can't seem to get a negative result to display proper, see scenario
below:

Cell AL11 is the final calculation of (H11 & I11) - (F11 & G11). Notice
the
### marks in AL11 due to the negative results. I need to keep the
existing
formula, but somehow display the negative results.

HELP - Rhonda!