Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default How to find the most recent date in a column based on other column

=MAX(IF(PosterRange="Margo",DateRange))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Veretax" wrote in message
I am working on creating a worksheet which will help me keep track of the
players stats in a game I am running. The Spreadsheet currently Tracks

the
following fields.

Date Posted, Poster, Contract/Objective, and Words
I enter the data daily as players submit their posts and record the date,
name, and count of their words.

Thus far I have figured out how to use named ranges to make a report on

the
sheet to show total posts and wordcount.

Postcount: =COUNTIF(PosterRange,"=<postername")
Wordcount: =SUMIF(PosterRange,"=<postername",WordsRange)

The problem I have been encountering is that I have been having to

manually
paste in the new last date posted into their row on the sheet.

What I would like to do is have that become a field which looks through

the
PosterRange and finds the Last instance value that belongs to that Poster.
And then returns the DateColumn in that row.

I've tried a few different scenarios, but all of them seem to either

return
a bad date (something ala 1900s), or returns the first date found for the
user and not the lance. I'm stumped here. Any suggestions?

Some sample data:

Date Poster Contract Words
Monday, October 02, 2006 John Objective-I 1705
Monday, October 02, 2006 Margo Objective-I 769
Tuesday, October 03, 2006 Kyle Objective-I 671
Thursday, October 05, 2006 Kyle Objective-I 1372
Thursday, October 05, 2006 Margo Objective-I 667