Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eric Eric is offline

Default COUNTIF with multiple conditions?

Thanks. Clever. I didn't know that a logical value works as a 0/1 in
multiplication.

Although I'm new to SUMPRODUCT, I think that your formula needs a little
adjustment. Either replace the asterisk with a comma (to separate the two
arguments of SUMPRODUCT), or use simply SUM instead. Does that seem right to
you?

Thanks for your help.

"PapaDos" wrote:

Try this for column A:

=SUMPRODUCT( ( A$2:A$100 = "x" ) * ( COUNTIF( OFFSET( $A$2:$Z$2, ROW(
A$2:A$100 ) - 2, 0 ), "x" ) = 1 ) )

Drag-fill as needed.

Luc.

"Festina Lente"

"Eric" wrote:

(Note: I also posted this on Excel / General questions. I hope I'm not
violating a rule by double-posting.)

I've got a table A2:Z100, with X's in some of the cells. A row may have one
or multiple Xs. I'm trying to find the number of rows which are "pureplays",
which is defined as a row with only one X.

For each column, I'd like to count the number of pureplays for that column
only, and put that value in the top row. So, for example, C1 would count the
number rows that have contain one X only and that X is in column C.

(I can't figure out how to do it with COUNTIF. A formula
COUNTIF(C2:C100,"X") will count the number of Xs in column C, but it's not
limited to the rows containing only one X.)

Any ideas??

Thanks.