Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default Formulas

Hi Astrad459,

You still don't give the whole set of ranges that you want to test for.
With the upper limit of every range, ie from the example you have given 99,
249, 399, try:

=SUM(--(B2{0,99,249,399,499,549,749,999}))

(The 499,549,749 & 999 are my *guesses* at further range limits)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Astrad459" wrote in message
That's exactly what I would like to do:

Say cell B2 has a number of 233.
I need cell B3 to read "2" because it is within the range of 100-249.
If the number were 98, it should read a "1" because it is within the range
of 1-99.
A number of 250-399 would read "3", and the range goes on with bigger
numbers located in B2.

The formula below will not work because it is not based purely on 100's.
Thank you for your response though.

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

A little unclear from your posting, as to what you do want. But if you
mean
1 - 100 = 1
101 - 200 = 2
201 - 300 = 3
then try
=INT((A1-1)/100)+1

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Astrad459" wrote in message
I know this should be easy but I'm having a difficult time making this
formula. I need a formula that would do the example listed below:

For example, if B2 was a number between 1-100, it would return a "1"
in B3,
and
if the number was between 101-250, it would return a "2" in B3 and so
on.