Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cowtoon Cowtoon is offline

Default COUNTIF question

Paul,
I've created macros in Word, so I thinking I could "record" a macro in Excel
(to at least get started), however, I don't know what to use as a
command/function to start with. That's what got me. If I could do one
manually, I could create the macro. I kind-a figured I'd have run a macro
or some other script to make this work, but I don't know what the function
or parameters for the function should be. I'll know the range and the
destination cell for the calculation, but don't know what to put after the
COUNTIF function for it to count, if the background is say, red.

Does that make sense to you?

"Paul B" wrote in message
Diana, have a look at the section on that page, Returning The ColorIndex Of
A Cell, to get the value of the colors

And have a look here on Getting Started with Macros and User Defined
Functions

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Cowtoon" wrote in message
Paul,
That's a good read, but I don't know very much about VB. How do I

implement
some of those functions/scripts.
If I coloured a cell red in a range and want to count it as a value of 1,

don't know how to get the script to work.
Also ... how do I find the RGB values for the colours that Excel uses.

This
is a no brainer in other office components.
Thanks for the response. Diana

"Paul B" wrote in message
Diana, have a look here for a way to do it
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Cowtoon" wrote in message
Hi there,
I hope you can help. Is it possible to count a cell if the shading is

set
to say, red or some other colour. If so, how do you determine what to

call
that colour.
(Excel 2003)
Thanks so much. Diana