Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default y2k problem

You can change the settings in Windows Xp by clicking Start | Control
Panel | Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options | Regional and
Language Options | Regional Options (tab) then click Customise and
select the Date tab. Here you can change from the 30/70 year split - I
think you are likely to need something like 10/90.

Alternatively, ensure that you have the century years in your dates.

Hope this helps.

Pete

kshelton wrote:
So I'm importing a file from a query and many of the dates are coming up
incorrectly. Some years are showing up as 2018 instead of 1918, 2024
instead of 1924. I think you get the picture. I found the below on MS Excel
Help, but I would like to know if there is any way to work around it or
change the setting. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

How Excel interprets two-digit years

To ensure that year values are interpreted as you intended, type year values
as four digits (2001, rather than 01). By entering four digits for the years,
Excel won't interpret the century for you.

For Microsoft Windows 2000 or later

If you are using Microsoft Windows 2000 or later, the Regional Options in
Windows Control Panel controls how Excel interprets two-digit years.

For dates entered as text values

When you enter a date as a text value, Excel interprets the year as follows:

00 through 29 Excel interprets the two-digit year values 00 through 29 as
the years 2000 through 2029. For example, if you type the date 5/28/19, Excel
assumes the date is May 28, 2019.
30 through 99 Excel interprets the two-digit year values 30 through 99 as
the years 1930 through 1999. For example, if you type the date 5/28/98, Excel
assumes the date is May 28, 1998.