Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big UT Fan Big UT Fan is offline

Default Adding values from 1 col based on value in diff col

OK...Just found it. Sorry my bad...should have just searched under SUMIF.
Now to next hurdle...great site.

"Big UT Fan" wrote:

I'm trying to do something simple (my opinion) but I'm just not sure how to
do it and the documentation on the functions isn't exactly intuitive or well
done. I have a spreasheet of expenditures. Each row consists of date,
merchant, type (golf, groceries, medical, gas, etc) and amount. I want to
show elsewhere the total of my expenditures by category. This will require a
function will will add column D to the "Gas Expenditures" cell when the value
in column C equals "gas". I'd then do the same with other types of
expenditures. After tackling that, I'll move to the next issue of
maintaining those totals across worksheets (each worksheet representing a
month of the year). If anyone is aware of free unencumbered templates I'd
gladly not reinvent the "wheel". Thanks!