Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Lookup in Two Columns, Help needed with formula

=INDEX(History!C1:C100,MATCH(1,(History!A1:A1000=A 2)*(History!B1:B1000=B2),0
))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Charles" wrote in message
In a page "History" I have three columns of data (50,000+ rows) Name, Date
and Salary, and in a separate Page "Monthly" I have Name, Monthly Pay Date
and Monthly Salary.

Working in "Monthly" I need a formula to look in "History" to find the
person in Name and within their list of dates find the correct pay.

This is an example of "History":
Name Date Salary
Brown 01/Sep/99 750
Brown 01/Jan/00 1000
Brown 01/Mar/01 1500
Brown 05/Jun/03 2000
Brown 07/Sep/04 2200
Brown 01/Oct/05 2500
Black 01/May/05 2500
Black 01/Sep/06 3000

If the pay date is 01/Oct/00 and the employee is Brown, I need a formula

find Brown and then establish his pay rate which would be 1000 as at
01/Jan/00.

I hope this is clear!