Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
James Silverton James Silverton is offline

Default Using Average

on Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:21:18 -0400:

g I'm tracking my MPG's for my car. Column A has the odometer
g reading, B is Gallons, C is Miles Traveled, D is MPG, and E
g is Average. I just started doing this three-fillups ago, so
g my average right now consists of =AVERAGE(D3:D5). If I
g change the "D5" to something greather than 5, I get a
g #DIV/0! message. I'd rather not change that 5 to a 6 when I
g want my next calculation and then to a 7 and so on. Is
g there way to do this so I don't have to manually change the
g number each time?

JS I doubt if you really want to average individual mpgs. Why
JS not add the gallons used and divide it by the odometer
JS reading (less whatever was its starting value) to get the
JS overall mpg?

Sorry, wrong way round (too much lunch :-), that would be
gallons per mile!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: