Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
barrie barrie is offline

Default Frequency Formula

I am definately confused! I used the same type of formula in my worksheets
last year and had no problem. My understanding is that column c (40, 50, 60
etc) is providing the grade range to count the number of grades in the range
(40 - 49, 50-50 etc.) If I want to count the number of grades in the range,
can you help me set up the data/formula correctly? I REALLY appreciate the
help.
--
Thanks very much!!
Barrie

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:21:01 -0700, barrie
wrote:

Using frequency, I am trying to calculate how many students received grades
within a particular grade range. I've entered the spefici grades for 15
students in column B (B3:B17) and the grade ranges in column C (C3:C9). When
I use frequency in Column D, it does not calculate it correctly - for
example, it finds 6 students who got a grade between 51 and 60 even though
there are only 4. I used the formula {=FREQUENCY(B3:B17,C3:C9)}. Here is a
copy of my columns and the results. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

0
79 40 2
80 50 2
56 60 6
72 70 5
70 80 0
47 90 0
57 100 0
63
44
67
76
70
66
74
61

I think you are misunderstanding the logic, and also may have your frequency
formula offset by 1 row.

79 40 0 Less than or Equal to 40
80 50 2 Less than or Equal to 50 and greater than 40
56 60 2 Less than or Equal to 60 and greater than 50
72 70 6 Less than or Equal to 70 and greater than 60
70 80 5 Less than or Equal to 80 and greater than 70
47 90 0 Less than or Equal to 90 and greater than 80
57 100 0 Less than or Equal to 100 and greater than 90
63 0 Greater than 100
44
67
76