Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Convert a letter to a number

This array* formula in A6 will do the trick:

=SUM(IF((A1:A5="L"),10,0))

*As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or
subsequently edit it) you must use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER (CSE) instead of
just ENTER. If you do this correctly, then Excel will wrap the formula
in curly braces { } when viewed in the formula bar - you must not type
these yourself.

You can use the normal copy/paste to copy the formula into B6:E6 to
give you the other totals.

Hope this helps.

Pete

sross002 wrote:
Here's how my graph is
a b c d e
1 L L L
2 L L L L
3 L L
4 L L L
5 L
6 30 20 20 30 30

How do I get the L's to represent $10.00 but still have the L in the graph
then when I add them i show the L's added up as numbers?

Basically, what formula will help me get the added sums of L's in numerical
form like in row 6 in my graph?