Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BillMcSweeney BillMcSweeney is offline

Default Total weekly wages by month

I have details of 15 employees with totals of wages for each. I have tried
SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(B13:B17,B197:B228)=2)*(C13:C17,C 197:C228)) to no avail.
Also tried
SUMIF(B13:B17,B197:B228),MONTH(B13:B17,B197:B228), (C13:C17,C197:c228))
without success. Tried + and * and ; instead of , as seperator - no good.
What can I do please?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Bill,

Then the dates are OK. The ranges referenced by the MONTH function part of the SUMPRODUCT can only
have dates - no headers, text, etc. or that will throw up an error. In my example formula,

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH($C$3:$C$25)=G2)*$D$3:$D$25)

C2 had a header "Dates", and C3 to C25 had actual dates. G2 has the number 2 (for February), and
D3:D25 have numbers that I want to sum. D2 had the header "Values".....

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"BillMcSweeney" wrote in message
I enter the dates as 13/10/06 and it shows in the cell as 13-Oct-06. I want
to retain this format for ease of reading.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Bill,

Are the dates actual dates? or strings that look a little like dates? Change the formatting of
the
cell to number, and the date should change to a number....

Otherwise, you have strings, and need to take other steps to change to actual dates.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"BillMcSweeney" wrote in message
Have tried 'SUMPRODUCT' formula and what I get in the cell is '#VALUE'. I
must be doing something wrong. The sheet is in employee order, one employee
under the last and totalled. I cannot change the order by sorting for a Pivot
table.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Bill,

Prefered method:

Use a Pivot table, with the dates as the row fields, and then group by date. No formulas
involved.

Or, use a formula like

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(C3:C25)=2)*D3:D25)

where column C has the dates, and D the numbers, and you want February results.
(This could be modified to make a table by using

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH($C$3:$C$25)=G2)*$D$3:$D$25)

Where G2 has a month number, and the numbers continue down column G...

Another method.

Use a helper column with the formula

=MONTH(cell with date)

and base the SUMIF on that column.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"BillMcSweeney" wrote in message
I have tried using SUMIF but am stuck in 'criteria'. I have two columns with
week date and amount for each employee. I want to total and show the totals
for each month.