Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff Biff is offline

Default Need to sum columns, excluding hidden columns.

Here's a kludge....

Suppose the range in question is A1:E1.

You need helper cells to determine if the column is hidden**.

Enter this formula somewhere, say, A2 and copy across to E2:

=CELL("width",A1)0

Then, to get the sum of the visible** columns:

=SUMIF(A2:E2,TRUE,A1:E1)

** hiding or unhiding rows/columns does not trigger a calculation so the
formula will not update when the columns are hidden or unhidden. You'll
have to either force a calculation (hit function key F9) or wait unitl some
other event triggers a calculation.

Like I said, kludge! But it's better than nothing!! (maybe!)

Biff

"psill" wrote in message
I need to sum a row spanning several columns where some of the columns are
hidden. I need to have the hidden columns excluded from the total. Is
there
a function that will do that similar to how 'subtotal' works for rows?