Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default An example to illustrate my problem

This still doesn't explain why you are using .CSV (or .TXT). Why not
just use a normal Excel workbook format, i.e. filename.xls?

Pete

Johny B wrote:
Excel 2003 CSV:

A,B,C,"D is a complex
<PHtml String</P",E

Excel 2000 CSV:

A,B,C,"D is a complex@<PHtml String</P",E

@ is not the actuall symbol since I can't actually put it in due to usenet
reading it as a carriage return. But the actuall symbol is that tall boxy one.

When I import the 2003 .txt it reads the return as a new row instead of a
forced line break within the cell. Which completely messes up my sheet.

"Johny B" wrote:

I have a 2003 excel CSV file from work that I need to open with my home copy
of 2000 excel. 2000 wont open the file so I opened it with notepad and saved
it as text hoping to simply import the base text into 2000.The problem seems
to be the way the two programs handle carraige returns within the csv. I use
alot of forced carraige returns to make HTML readable within my files. 2003
saves and reads a direct carraige return as a forced carraige return as long
as it's enclosed within the quotes. However, 2000 saves and reads the text
equivilent of a return, that little boxy character. Help?