Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Allout Allout is offline

Default Wrap Text is not working correctly on one persons computer

I am having the same issue as this post. Excel 2003 SP2, Dell lattitude,
XPpro SP2. Reinstalled office, Nothing seems to work. Others can open my
files and wordwrap, but I get it back and upon reopening it on my machine the
text is gone (really its there, if I remove wordwrap.) I have tried cell
height, autofit, is there a reset configuration? I searched help and do not
have a .xlt file saved anywhere on my machine.
Sounds like a bug. Hey MS please help.

"bcj" wrote:

Apparently it isn't working on more than one computer! I wonder if this is an
unrecognized virus???

Anyway, I am having the same problem and have tried all of the solutions
that I could do without dismantling my laptop. I didn't see any one come back
with a Ureka, it worked!" comment so I assume no solution has emrged yet. Is
that true?

The Run : Excel /Safe suggestions doesn;t work for me. I have an associate
with the same laptop and software who doesn't see these symptoms.

In my case I can't see any data on any Excel spreadsheet until I turn off
Word Wrap for the entire document. That isn't all that handy since most of my
spreadsheets are large and dataful (new word I made up) and are constructed
by others who assume Word Wrap is working.

thx - bcj

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

How is the cell formatted?

I'd try making sure it was formatted as General.
(a custom format of ;;; would hide the value in the cell, but the value would
still appear in the formula bar.)

Any chance that there cell has a font color and a fill color the same (white on
white?)

Any chance that the cell is using Format|conditional formatting to make it
appear empty?

Could there be an event macro that is waiting in the background to do this? If
the excel is opened in safe mode, does it happen?

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

file|open the workbook to test it out.

====
Severely wild guess--if you change to a different printer driver, does the
problem go away?

bocikt wrote:

There is a gentleman in my office who is having a problem with text wrapping
in a single cell. When he opens up a new Excel workbook and types in a
sentence that goes past the cell width, the text appears on the screen
spanning columns (as you would expect). When he formats the cell and chooses
the Wrap Text option, the text disappears. When he highlights that cell the
text displays in the formula bar.

Adding an Alt-Enter to the middle or the end of the sentence makes no
difference and changing the Text Alignment makes no difference.

He has sent the file to me and my excel (both are 2003 SP2) shows the text
as expected.

We have reinstalled Office and this problem still occurs.

--

Dave Peterson